158 Squadron Association

"Strength in Unity"

Squadron Association

The Squadron Association was formed in the 1970’s largely as a result of the efforts of Henry Victor Taylor DFC who flew with the Squadron as an Air Bomber in 1943/44.

When Henry stepped down from his role as a result of ill health, the reins were taken over by Herbert Neville Mottershead DFC who had flown as a Pilot with the Squadron in 1943. Popularly known as ‘Bluey’ he has continued to serve the interests of the Association as Secretary and President (latterly in the latter role only) for 30 years.

Under his leadership and with the assistance of successive Committee Members, the Association grew to become one of the largest of those formed from Bomber Command Squadrons. The Association adopted its present title in March 1990.


Membership of the Association is open to all who served with the Squadron in whatever capacity and Associate membership is available to the friends and relation of former Squadron members and to any person having a genuine interest in the activities of the Squadron during the years of its existence as a Main Force Bomber Squadron and latterly as Transport Unit.

Annual Reunion

The Annual Reunion of the Association takes place over the first weekend of September each year and is traditionally held at the Expanse Hotel, Bridlington, East Yorkshire. A Memorial Service is held on the Sunday in the St. James of Compostella Church in the village of Lissett. The churchyard also contains the Squadron Memorial, carved from Yorkshire stone, which was unveiled in September 1984 by a former Squadron Commander, Wing Commander Peter Dobson DSL, DFC, AFC, Mentioned in Dispatches (x2).

Other events are normally organised over the weekend and these are publicised in the Annual Newsletter.


The Squadron Association welcomes donations of photographs, log books, documents etc. pertaining individuals who served with the Squadron or on its bases to add to the archive. We are building a digital as well as a physical archive. Our archives are now housed at the Treasure House in Beverley, Yorkshire, which will soon be made available to researchers.